[excerpted from the 2nd ed. of Vaccination Is Not Immunization]
With a flair worthy of PT Barnum and Edward L Bernays, mainstream media began employing a brilliant menage of pseudoscience and well-edited history to concoct a new myth out of thin air: terrorists are about to release smallpox as a bioweapon that could decimate our population. But soft! – our ever-vigilant security forces are ready. Government leaders with degrees in law, not science, have decided to prepare enough vaccine to inoculate every American. And to empower themselves to legislate the vaccine’s administration, sanctioned by severe penalties for refusal. 
Price tag for the new doses: over $800 million.  But what is money when compared with the health and security of the American people?
Answer: it’s still money.
Almost every day a new story comes out in the major news Matrix about the coming threat and the vaccine that will save us. In true Edward L Bernays fashion,  the features are generally written by the “health correspondent” with the requisite lack of credentials, disregard of history, and the standard formidable barrage of uncited and anonymous sources.
But we are not taken in, not us, because we know that forgetting history, we are destined to repeat it. So let’s try something unknown to the meretricious press – let’s review the actual history and science of smallpox and apply it to the present.
WHAT WAS SMALLPOX?
Smallpox was an infectious viral disease which was evident for centuries in places with poor sanitation, poverty, and malnutrition. Hundreds of thousands died, and there was no cure. The infectious agent was Orthopox variola.  By the end of the 18th century the disease was following the natural course: burning itself out on the human population, confining itself to those with the lowest immune capabilities.
Smallpox was the first disease for which vaccination was tried. It all started with Edward Jenner at the end of the 1700s.
The story that we find in 99% of standard references is that Jenner’s vaccine saved the world from the dread smallpox, which had plagued the human race for centuries. Mass inoculation programs were instituted in many countries worldwide, usually backed by the government. The vaccine supposedly immunized people for life. If the legend starts to sound a little whitewashed, there’s a reason why. So let’s start at the beginning.
as you may remember, was the English “physician” in the late 1700s who took note of an old superstition that milk-maids who got a mild disease known as cowpox supposedly didn’t get smallpox. As an experiment, Jenner came up with the idea of drawing serum from an infected cowpox pustule on the skin of an infected milkmaid. He then injected the infected pus into a perfectly healthy person, on the theory that contact with this “milder” disease would allow the subject to develop immunity to the more deadly smallpox.
Jenner’s theory was that this cow-pox is smallpox of the cow. Therefore, if you give a person cow-pox, it is the same as smallpox, only in a very mild form. And it would not be infectious.
And at midnight, the coach would turn back into a pumpkin…
Going even further out on a limb, Jenner himself absolutely declared that it is not that cow-pox is a preventive of smallpox but that it is smallpox itself. (Hadwen)
While Jenner is universally venerated today as mankind’s deliverer from the scourge of infectious disease in probably 99% of references, a little different version of Jenner’s rise to fame and wealth emerges with a little research. 
Many sources from Jenner’s own contemporaries who were less than enchanted with his idea of variolation appear throughout Anderson’s The Facts Against Compulsory Vaccination,  the writings of Walter Hadwen,  and the very thorough research by Alfred Russell Wallace. 
From these writers we can learn a few details that most edited modern drafts of this story omit, such as:
* the utter lack of science underlying Jenner’s original claim of immunity from vaccines
* the number of deaths and disfiguring cases his experiments brought to those unsuspecting patients who were unfortunate enough to be talked into trying Jenner’s injections during those early years.
Even from the beginning, after inoculating his very first patient – 8 year old James Phipps – Jenner absurdly maintained that his injections were conferring lifetime immunity:
“what renders the cowpox virus so extremely singular is that the person who has been thus affected is for ever after secure from the infection of the smallpox.” – Jenner, 1797, cited in H.B. Anderson 
Many of Jenner’s own contemporaries were
shocked at how easily the scientific community was taken in by this poser.
Perusing the work of Walter Hadwen MD,  celebrated English surgeon, author, and medical scholar of 100 years ago, we find a version of the Jenner story that is not so set in bronze as most of what we read today. Hadwen points out a few cracks in Jenner’s pedestal:
– Jenner was no physician. He never passed a medical exam in his life, completed any course of medical study, or received a diploma from any medical school.
– Jenner bought his medical degree for £15 from St Andrew’s College in Scotland, which he never attended (Hume, p 174 , also Hadwen )
– Jenner “tested” his theory on one patient, and then immediately claimed that he had “immunized” the patient against smallpox for life. Jenner also claimed that the vaccine would work universally. That’s it. No controlled clinical trials, no years of research, nothing! One patient.
With no proof whatsoever, and a sample size of one, Jenner tricked the entire medical profession, then and now, into pretending that cowpox was smallpox in cows – a total scientific inaccuracy. And then he sold the idea that his vaccine was the cure. [5, 14]
WHEEL OF FORTUNE
Not long after his “breakthrough,” Jenner’s repeated petitions to the House of Commons struck gold. It finally dawned on the English government how millions of pounds sterling could be moved around by passing a law making the new smallpox vaccine compulsory. Jenner was promptly awarded the enormous sum of 30,000 by British Parliament and suddenly this uneducated poseur was a revered scientist! (Wallace )
TWO DIFFERENT DISEASES
Legitimate scientists of Jenner’s day decried the smallpox vaccine from the start. Bechamp, Hadwen, Wallace, and others thought it appalling that the most basic facts concerning the distinction between cowpox and smallpox were simply never discussed. If the original axioms of vaccination were true, how could one disease vector immunize against a completely separate disease? This was the question that was never asked, and is still ignored today.
Watch closely: the two diseases – cowpox and smallpox – are completely distinct conditions. Hadwen explains:
“What is cow-pox? It is a disease which occurs on the teats of cows; it only occurs when they are in milk; only in one part of the body, and naturally only in the female animal; it results in an ugly chancre; and is not infectious.
Small-pox, on the other hand, is not limited to the female sex as is cow-pox, nor to one portion of the body; it presents different physical signs, and, furthermore, is tremendously infectious, and the course and symptoms of the two diseases are totally different. Therefore there is no analogy between the two.” 
Hadwen wrote this 100 years ago, but his objections are still valid. Doing a taxonomic check today in a standard index of viruses from a National Institutes of Health database  readily points out that cowpox is caused by a virus called Orthopox vaccinia and smallpox is caused by a virus called Orthopox variola.
These two viruses have different sizes, genetic sequences, and characteristics. To pretend that cows get a version of smallpox called cowpox is bizarre enough – but then to say that people who get the same disease are immune to smallpox is simply fantasy.
This chart may be helpful:
Cowpox —————-—— Smallpox
Only in female cows —– Only in humans
Not infectious ———— Infectious
Orthopox vaccinia ——- Orthopox variola
How scientific was it to transfer diseases back and forth between humans and animals in the preparation and administration of vaccines? Real scientists were shocked at such a practice. But their views were suppressed. We’ll see this sloppy science emerge again with polio vaccine and the invention of HIV. (Horowitz)
HOW WAS THE SMALLPOX VACCINE MADE?
From an original monograph by Dr Walter Hadwen, here is an account of how smallpox vaccine was first made:
1. A 3 month old calf was tied down on its side.
2. 30 – 50 one inch incisions were made in its stomach
3. Smallpox pus rubbed into each incision
4. Calf is returned to its pen, restrained so as to be unable to lick the sores
5. Wait one week.
6. Smallpox pustules form
7. Calf strapped down again
8. Encrusted pus is scraped off each sore and the remaining blood, lymph, and pus is then drained out.
9. It is placed in a crucible and heated, adding glycerine as a binder
10. Mixed and strained to remove hair and dead flesh.
11. Poured into tubes as sold as pure calf lymph – or smallpox vaccine.
Very scientific. This formula was used for decades, even up to modern times, continuing with Dryvax in 1944.  The new smallpox vaccines are still made from this ‘purified calf lymph’ but with one modern twist: the post 9/11 vaccine is now cultured on the cells of an aborted human fetus. .
The majority of historical references found in mainstream sources have loudly proclaimed the safety and effectiveness of the smallpox vaccine. This erroneous general perception continues today. From a current MSN Encarta document:
“Cowpox, contagious viral disease of cows characterized by pustular eruptions, especially on the udders and teats. Cowpox can be transmitted to humans by direct contact. Persons infected with cowpox become immune to smallpox, a similar but more serious disease. This immunity was discovered by the British physician Edward Jenner, who used cowpox virus to inoculate patients against smallpox.”
– “Cowpox” Microsoft Encarta Online Encyclopedia 2001 
The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001: 
“…infectious disease of cows caused by a virus related to the virus of smallpox. Also called variola, it is characterized by pustular lesions on the teats and udder. Cowpox is transmitted by contact, inducing a mild infection of the hands in persons who milk infected cows. The fact that such persons had immunity to smallpox led Edward Jenner to attempt vaccination with this virus, instead of using the dangerous method of vaccinating with material from the sores of smallpox. Jenner’s method was successful and is the basis of the modern vaccination against smallpox.”
DID THE ORIGINAL VACCINE WORK?
By 1853, Parliament began passing laws to make the untested vaccine compulsory throughout the British empire. Other countries of Europe followed suit.
Once the economic implications of compulsory vaccinations were realized, few dared to disagree. Then as now, the media were controlled by the vaccine manufacturers and the government, who stood to make huge money from the sale of these spurious vaccines. Hadwen put it like this:
“… so strong is the effect of authority, custom, and endowment, and so prone are people to save themselves the trouble of personal investigation by the simple process of accepting the decisions of “the majority” … When once an error is accepted by a profession corporately and endowed by Government, to uproot it becomes a herculean task.” 
And this is how mass immunizations get started. Once the money machine started rolling, doctors who questioned the research were ignored. Despite the lack of scientific validation and hundreds of thousands of documented vaccine deaths, compulsory smallpox vaccination lasted for 120 years! The US was the last holdout, finally giving it up in 1971.
Hadwen provides a rare window into the medical research of a century ago, one that has not received the usual whitewash. He tells the amazing story about Prussia, the most vaccinated country in Europe during the 1800s – also the country which kept the best records. Hadwen had access to these medical records before the media had the sense to suppress them. Here’s what they showed:
It happened that Prussia passed a mandatory vaccination law in 1834 for smallpox. The law provided that every infant be vaccinated, and then revaccinated when starting school. After graduation the child had to be vaccinated again, and then once more upon entering the Army! And all healthy males had to go into the Army. Anyone who refused the vaccination was to be “held down and vaccinated by force; and so thoroughly was it done that he was vaccinated in ten places on each arm.” 
OK, so we get the idea that almost 100% of Prussians got Jenner’s smallpox vaccine. So what happened in Prussia 35 years after this vaccination law? A smallpox epidemic which killed “124,978 of her vaccinated and re-vaccinated citizens after thirty-five years of compulsory vaccination!” 
LICENCE TO KILL
How about England?
A compulsory “immunization” program was set up in England in 1853 using Jenner’s methods. (McBean p.13)  Before that time, the highest number of deaths in a 2 year period in England from smallpox was about 2000. Results of this “immunization”:
year —— deaths
1857-9 — 14,244
1863-5 — 20,059
In response, in 1867 Parliament enacted a stricter vaccination law, and 97% of the people were inoculated. Result:
year ——- deaths
1868 ——– 44,840
– Null, Part III, p23 
Great vaccine, huh?
Alfred Russell Wallace offers abundant proof how vaccine statistics were manipulated in England during the 1800s – the who and the why of it. After a thorough presentation charting actual deaths throughout the UK and the Continent from smallpox and from the vaccine, Wallace concludes that smallpox vaccine
“.… has actually increased susceptibility to the disease. … the conclusion is in every case the same: that vaccination is a gigantic delusion; that it has never saved a single life; but that it has been the cause of so much disease, so many deaths, such a vast amount of utterly needless and altogether undeserved suffering, that it will be classed by the coming generation among the greatest errors of an ignorant and prejudiced age, and its penal enforcement the foulest blot on the generally beneficent course of legislation during our century.”
– Alfred R. Wallace, Chapter VI 1898 
What most people don’t know is that just after the US began vaccinating for smallpox (1902) England stopped. By 1907 England finally got the message: no more compulsory smallpox vaccination. Holland, same thing in 1928. Australia – 1925 (Anderson, p 10) 
How long did it take the US to figure out that the smallpox vaccine not only didn’t work, but was dangerous and often fatal as well? We finally stopped vaccinating in 1971, the last holdout in the world.
The low ebb of the infectious diseases arrived in the 1970s. From 1950 to 1970, zero cases of smallpox were reported in the U.S. After several years passed, however, there are now a few cases of smallpox, but they only occur among the ranks of the vaccinated! (Scheibner) 
What’s important to notice is that smallpox vaccination in the U.S. persisted another 30 years after the disease was at an incidence of practically zero. Again, the only source of death from smallpox in the U.S. for 30 years was from the vaccine itself. (Mendelsohn, p 232, World Book, 1994) [24, 25]
Even though smallpox vaccination became mandatory in the US after 1902, what is less commonly known is that by 1929, all states but nine no longer made it compulsory. Reason: too many deaths and complications. (H.B. Anderson, p 2) 
Today smallpox occurs nowhere in nature.
Other physicians of the smallpox era were not that impressed with the vaccine. William Howard Hay MD, at an address he gave on 25 June 1937, remarked:
“Of all the insane things we have advocated in medicine – that is one of the most insane, to insist on the vaccination of children or anyone else for the prevention of smallpox, when as a matter of fact, we are not able to prove that vaccination saved one man from smallpox.” 
After WWI, there was a lot of surplus smallpox vaccine that didn’t get used. So we looked to another market we could control. When the U.S. mandated a mass smallpox vaccination program in the Philippines in 1917, some 25 million shots were given to those people. 163,000 Filipinos came down with the disease after the vaccination, and 75,339 Filipinos died from it, quadrupling the death rate prior to the inoculation program. That’s way more than the total number of Americans who died in the entire Vietnam war! American “immunization” of its Philippine territory caused several horrific epidemics there that didn’t quite make the six o’clock news. (Anderson, p 69 W.H.Hay, also James, p 410) [7, 26, 27]
FAIRY TALES CAN COME TRUE
To sum up, what Jenner did was to take an old superstition of Gloucester dairymaids and pander it into a fortune for himself and the English government by the most ridiculous “scientific” posturing.
THE NEW SMALLPOX MARKET
Bringing the discussion into the present, post-9/11 politics has created marketing niches like the world has never seen.
In classic Edward L Bernays style, the illusion of a smallpox threat has been created – an $800 million illusion. [Appleby)  With no proof whatsoever, the scripted media daily barrages the unlettered public with likely scenarios of Muslim terrorists unleashing weaponized smallpox into metropolitan areas, supposedly resulting in epidemics of smallpox spreading like wildfire through an unvaccinated population, etc.
In an eerie replay of the social politics of 200 years ago, scientific fact is brushed aside and we are distracted from the lessons of our own history, as though these events never took place:
– smallpox disappeared worldwide in 1977
– the only deaths from smallpox since 1970 have been from the vaccine
– smallpox vaccine killed thousands in England, France, Prussia, and the Philippines
– the sham premise of Jenner is still widely held
– smallpox vaccine historically has killed the most people of any vaccine ever invented
– the vaccine is for a completely different disease – a disease of cows
– the vaccine does not confer immunity to smallpox
– the reason that our country and every other country in the world stopped vaccinating was that the vaccine not only did not work, but was causing the disease and other pathological and fatal side effects
– no biological viral or bacterial agent has ever been deployed as a weapon, either by a country of by an individual.
From 9/11 until early 2003, popular media employed a brilliant menage of pseudoscience and well-edited history to concoct a new myth out of thin air: terrorists were about to release smallpox as a bioweapon that could decimate our population. Government leaders with degrees in law, not science, decided to prepare enough vaccine to inoculate every American. And to empower themselves to legislate the vaccine’s administration, sanctioned by severe penalties for refusal. (Altman )
Price tag for the new doses: over $3 billion. But what is money when compared with the health and security of the American
Answer: it’s still money.
Post-9/11 politics created marketing niches the likes of which the world had never seen.
The illusion of a smallpox threat was crafted – a $3 billion dream.  Throughout 2002, the unlettered public were unrelentingly terrorized with media scenarios of crazed Muslims unleashing weaponized smallpox into metropolitan areas, supposedly resulting in epidemics of smallpox spreading like wildfire through an unvaccinated population, etc. Remember?
Despite all this, the FDA, CDC, HHS, Office of Homeland Security, plus many of the new offices which suddenly emerged at the trough, decided that a few companies should produce enough vaccine to give all 280 million Americans ‘protection.’  The companies included Aventis in France, Acambis in England, and Wyeth in the US.
THE HOUSE OF CARDS BEGINS TO QUAKE
On 10 Sept 02 with the CDC announced that the new smallpox vaccine was not to be recommended for:
– HIV people
– anyone on immunosuppressive drugs
– anyone with eczema 
The CDC quoted a study in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, describing vaccine reactions like blindness, scarring, and death. How many Americans would be excluded?
“Given the number of people who suffer from eczema, up to one half of the US population may be ineligible for routine smallpox vaccination.” 
AIDS patients and those on immunosuppressive drugs add another significant proportion to the group of those who shouldn’t be vaccinated. Let’s see – how many drugs are immuno-suppressive? Like, all of them?
Most Americans over 31 years of age had already been vaccinated for smallpox, since the vaccine was only halted in 1971 in the US. So if the vaccine really worked, then obviously these people will not need a new shot, right?
SMALLPOX HEART ATTACKS
The final nail in the coffin for the post 9/11 smallpox vaccine program was the discovery in Mar 2003 that the vaccine should not be given to heart patients.  
The same individual who invented the program finally pulled it:
“Under the new guidelines, people who have been diagnosed with serious heart disease such as coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, heart attack and angina are being told not to get the vaccine. The change was ordered by Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson.” 
All this wasn’t discovered until after the $3 billion was spent.
So whom did that leave eligible for the vaccine? Ten per cent of the population would be a reasonable estimate.
THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING THREAT
The program of mass smallpox vaccination was officially abandoned in Oct 2003. According to Ray Strikas of the CDC:
“the much-ballyhooed program is dead in the water.” 
Reason: heart complications, and the above problems. So after 2 years of terrorizing the public with the threat of forced inoculations and after spending $3 billion, they axe the whole thing, just like that. So what about the bioterrorist threat of smallpox? Where did it go? Why didn’t they talk about it any more? Does that mean it only had reality as a marketing tool for the vaccine, but since the vaccine’s no good, then the threat disappears too? What a polite pathogen, to back off just because we couldn’t find a cure.
1. Reuters Routine smallpox vaccine risky for eczema patients www.reutershealth.com 10 Sept 2002.
2. Drazen J MD Smallpox and bioterrorism New England Journal of Medicine 346:17 25 Apr 2002.
3. Bicknell, W MD The case for voluntary smallpox vaccination New England Journal of Medicine 346:17 25 Apr 2002.
4. Hadwen, W MD Sanitation Vs. Vaccination: the Origin of Smallpox From “Truth,” January 17, 1923
5. Hadwen, W MD The Fraud of Vaccination From “Truth,” January 3, 1923.
6. Wallace, AR VACCINATION A DELUSION – Its Penal Enforcement a Crime www.whale.to/vaccine/wallace/book.html
7. Anderson, HB The Facts Against Compulsory Immunization Citizens Medical Reference Bureau New York 1929.
8. McBean, E The Poisoned Needle Health Research, Mokelumne Hill 1993.
9. Miller, Neil – Immunizations: Theory Vs. Reality New Atlantean Press 1995.
10. Null, G – “Vaccines: Are They Really Safe” Part I, II, III, and IV www.garynull.com
11. Horowitz, L Emerging Viruses: AIDS and Ebola Tetrahedron, Inc 1999.
12. Model Emergency Health Powers Act (MEHPA) Turns Governors into Dictators http://www.aapsonline.org/
13. Bernays, E — Propaganda — Liveright, New York 1928.
14. Hadwen, W MD Verbatim report of an Address given at Goddard’s Assembly Rooms, Gloucester, England Saturday, January 25th, 1896.
15. WHO Weighs Urging of Smallpox Vaccines ABCNEWS.com 21 Oct 2001.
16. Weiss, R Smallpox vaccine turns up Washington Post 27 Mar 2002.
17. Hume, E. Douglas Bechamp or Pasteur? Mokelumne 1923.
18. Microsoft Encarta Online Encyclopedia 2001 (http://encarta.msn.com/ 1997-2001 Microsoft Corporation.)
19 Physicians Desk Reference 56th edition Medical Economics 2002.
20. The Columbia Encyclopedia Sixth Edition. Columbia University Press. Copyright 2001.
21. U.S. National Institutes of Health database on cowpox and smallpox http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ICTVdb/Images/Fenner/poxb.htm http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ICTVdb/Images/em_poxvi.htm
22. Null, G – “Vaccines: Are They Really Safe” Part I, II, III, and IV www.garynull.com
23. Scheibner, V PhD Vaccination: The Medical Assault on the Immune System Australian Print Group 1993.
24. Mendelsohn R MD How To Raise A Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor Ballantine New York 1984.
25. World Book, Inc. World Book Encyclopedia p S-513 1994.
26. Hay, W. H. MD – Address to Congress on the Lemky Bill Congressional Record 25 Jun 1937.
27. James, W Immunizations: The Reality Behind the Myth Bergin & Garvey 1995.
28. Appleby, J Lawmakers seek alternative smallpox vaccine USA Today 10 Dec 2001.
29. Lyons & Krieger Smallpox vaccinations considered for US San Jose Mercury News 29 Mar 2002
30. Weiss, R Smallpox vaccine turns up Washington Post 27 Mar 2002.
31. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology vol 110, p 357 2002.
32. New York Times 23 Sept 02
33. Dougherty, J Smallpox uses fetal cell line
WorldNetDaily.com 18 Nov 2001.
34. Acambis Says Early Smallpox Vaccine Results Encouraging 3 Sep 2002 http://www.intelihealth.com/